What We Collect
Nichols collects two kinds of information on its websites: 1) information you voluntarily supply when you visit the website and register an account, fill out a form to request information, “opt-in” for participation in a service, complete a survey, or engage with other site features; and 2) information that is collected automatically as you navigate the site.
In addition to any personal information you actively provide to us, Nichols systems automatically record certain non-personal information such as:
- The name of the domain and host from which you access the Web;
- The geographic location of your point of connectivity;
- The Internet Protocol (IP) address of the computer you are using;
- The browser used and the operating system you are using;
- The date and time you access this site;
- Visitor-specific information such as the pages accessed/visited, the order in which they were visited, the hyperlinks employed, and the Internet address of the website linked directly to this site.
Nichols may also collect tracking information through the use of “cookies” -- cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer to facilitate your future access to websites. Your visit remains anonymous until you knowingly identify yourself. The collected information is used for internal College purposes, and to improve the content and navigation of Nichols’ overall website.
Nichols uses Google Analytics to help manage our website. Please see the Privacy and Terms pages for more information on how Google uses/maintains user information.
What We Do with the Information We Gather
We use this information to understand your needs and provide you with better service. In particular, for the following reasons:
- To answer a question you have asked;
- To provide you with the information or service you have requested (e.g., newsletter);
- For internal record keeping;
- To improve our services, including performance and functionality of the website;
- To periodically send promotional emails about College programs, events, or other information we think you may find interesting, using the email address you have provided; and
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access or disclosure, we have put in place industry standard physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online.
Links to Other Websites
Links to Online Forums
Nichols makes forums, message boards, and other collaborative features available to its users. The College does not ordinarily log public chat sessions, however, any information disclosed in these areas becomes public information and you should therefore exercise caution when deciding to disclose your personal information in such places. Nichols may collect such information if it has reasonable cause to suspect misuse, unlawful conduct, breach of College policy, or other reasonable cause to collect such information.
Links to Online Surveys
Nichols employs the use of online surveys, which may be conducted on the College’s website. It is College policy that confidential information gathered in these online surveys is used only for the research purposes indicated in the survey. Unless otherwise noted on the specified survey, your answers are confidential and individual responses will not be shared with other parties. Aggregate data from surveys may be shared.
Controlling Your Personal Information
GDPR Privacy Notice
If You Are Located in the European Union (EU)
If you are receiving services from Nichols College in a member state of European Union (EU), or if you are located in a member state of the European Union (EU) when you visit Nichols College websites, we will do our best to observe the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and other applicable data protection laws when we process your personal information.
Personal information relating to you from which you can be identified (such as your name and contact details, as well as other personal information about you) is called “personal data” under the GDPR. If you are located in the EU and we offer or provide services to you, the following additional provisions beyond the general privacy statements set forth above apply in relation to how we handle your personal data.
College Use of Information
- Nichols College collects, processes and discloses Information and Sensitive Information from and about Information Providers only as necessary in the exercise of the College’s legitimate interests, functions and responsibilities as a private, not-for-profit higher education institution.
- Nichols College collects, processes and may disclose Information and Sensitive Information from and about Information Providers who are research subjects in the exercise of scientific, historical research, or statistical purposes.
- Nichols College collects and processes Information from and about Information Providers who are applicants for employment, employees and immediate family members in order to enter into or administer an employment relationship with Nichols College.
- Nichols College collects Information from and about Information Providers and may share it with internal and external parties to register or enroll persons, provide and administer housing to students, provide and administer financial aid, manage a student account, provide academic advising, develop and deliver education programs, track academic progress, analyze and improve education programs, recruitment, regulatory reporting, auditing, maintenance of accreditation, and other related Nichols College processes and functions.
- Nichols College uses Information and Sensitive Information to conduct general demographic and statistical research to improve Nichols College programs.
- Nichols College collects, processes and shares Sensitive Information internally and externally, as necessary, applicable and appropriate, to identify appropriate support services or activities, provide reasonable accommodations, enforce Nichols College policies or comply with applicable laws.
- Information and Sensitive Information may be shared by Nichols College with third parties who have entered into contracts with the College to perform functions on behalf of Nichols College, subject to the obligation of confidentiality and safeguarding from unauthorized disclosure.
- Nichols College collects, processes and shares Information and Sensitive Information from and about alumni, donors and event patrons internally and with third parties for the purpose of management of your relationship and engagement with Nichols.
Third Party Use of Sensitive Information
We may disclose your Sensitive Information and other Information as follows:
- Consent: We may disclose Sensitive Information and other Information if we have your consent to do so.
- Emergency Circumstances: We may share your Information, and Sensitive Information when necessary to protect your interests and you are physically or legally incapable of providing consent.
- Employment Necessity: We may share your Sensitive Information when necessary for administering employment or social security benefits in accordance with applicable law or any applicable collective bargaining agreement, subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- Charitable Organizations: We may share your Information with not-for-profit organizations in connection with charitable giving subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- Public Information: We may share your Information and Sensitive Information if you have manifestly made it public.
- Archiving: We may share your Information and Sensitive Information for archiving purposes in the public interest, and for historical research, and statistical purposes.
- Performance of a Contract: We may share your Information when necessary to administer a contract you have with the College.
- Legal Obligation: We may share your Information when the disclosure is required or permitted by international, federal, and state laws and regulations.
- Service Providers: We use third parties who have entered into a contract with the College to support the administration of College operations and policies. In such cases, we share your Information with such third parties subject to the imposition of appropriate safeguards to prevent further unauthorized disclosure.
- College Affiliated Programs: We may share your Information with parties that are affiliated with the College for the purpose of contacting you about goods, services, charitable giving or experiences that may be of interest to you.
- De-Identified and Aggregate Information: We may use and disclose Information in de-identified or aggregate form without limitation.
We implement appropriate technical and organizational security measures to protect your information when you transmit it to us and when we store it on our information technology systems.
Cookies and Other Technology
Retention and Destruction of Your Information
Your information will be retained by Nichols College in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, and the applicable retention periods in the College’s Records Management policy. Your information will be destroyed upon your request unless applicable law requires destruction after the expiration of an applicable retention period. The manner of destruction shall be appropriate to preserve and ensure the confidentiality of your information given the level of sensitivity, value and criticality to the College.
You have the right to request access to, a copy of, rectification, restriction in the use of, or erasure of your information in accordance with all applicable laws. The erasure of your information shall be subject to the retention periods of applicable federal and state laws and regulations. If you have provided consent to the use of your information, you have the right to withdraw consent without affecting the lawfulness of the College’s use of the information prior to receipt of your request.
Information created in the European Union will be transferred out of the European Union to Nichols College. If you feel the College has not complied with applicable foreign laws regulating such information, you have the right to file a complaint with the appropriate supervisory authority in the European Union.
Updates to This Policy
We may update or change this notice at any time. Your continued use of the Nichols College website and third-party applications after any such change indicates your acceptance of these changes.
Last updated 10/11/11